If you don’t fancy paying £200-£1,100 per tooth for veneers or spending hundreds of pounds at your dentist getting your teeth whitened, then there are a number of natural techniques you can use to naturally whiten your teeth and brighten your smile.
1. Baking soda – if you look at the ingredients in your toothpaste, you will soon spot baking soda. Simply wet your toothbrush and dip the tip in some baking soda and in up to a month your teeth will look noticeable whiter.
2. Olive oil – this technique is particularly useful if you have only got a few discoloured teeth. Simply add a few drops of olive oil to a cloth and rub onto your teeth for 5-10 minutes.
3. Strawberries – you may be surprised but strawberries have teeth whitening properties. The trick is to cut the strawberry in half and hold it by the skin so the inside is facing towards you. Rub the strawberry over your teeth until they turn pinkish. Next leave it on for 5-10 minutes and then brush away using your regular toothpaste.
4. White vinegar and salt – not exactly a tasty solution but it works. Simply take half a cup of white vinegar and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Once stirred use this mixture to rinse your mouth every night before you go to bed.
5. Lemon juice – from brushing your teeth with lemon juice to rubbing the peel across your teeth, both of these methods can help your teeth to naturally whiten. You need to be careful with this method though as it robs your teeth enamel of calcium which will cause your teeth to decay faster.
6. Crunchy vegetables – vegetables such as celery, carrots, broccoli and cucumber are all naturally abrasive, meaning as you eat them they behave like little toothbrushes scrubbing away stains.
7. Peroxide – gargling peroxide is believed to whiten teeth. Simply brush your teeth like normal, swish with peroxide and then rinse with water.
It is important to note here though that over the counter peroxide is not as concentrated as the peroxide found in teeth whiteners and can irritate your gums and cause tooth sensitivity.
To experience the full whitening effects of peroxide it is best to invest in a home teeth whitening kit such as Dr George’s Dental white. Containing 120ml/cc of 16% carbamide peroxide, when this gel enters the pores on your teeth it produces active oxygen which converts coloured compounds into colourless compounds. Simply put on for 30 minutes and in 2 weeks your teeth can become 11 shades lighter. For more information visit www.smile4you.co.uk
Natural teeth whitening remedies can certainly make brightening your smile cheaper. However, for safer more permanent results, investing in a quality teeth whitening kit can save you a trip to the dentist when you learn how to whiten teeth from the comfort of your own home.