Although it is common knowledge the world over that fruits are super healthy, it is surprising to know that people still are to a large extent ignorant to the health benefits they offer. Considered here are the top ten healthiest fruits, judged by virtue of their vitamin C and anti-oxidant capacity:
- Apples – it appears the old age saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” is very much true, but in today’s world should be expanded to “a top ten fruit a day keeps the doctor away”. Apples are extremely nutritious and healthy, from the skin all the way down to the core. The skin is rich in pectin, a healthy dose of fiber in addition to a high amount of bioflavonoids and anti-oxidants. In addition the fiber content in apples has been shown to provide a modest improvement in cholesterol levels, as well as keeping constipation at bay and reducing risk of heart attacks. In addition to these numerous health benefits apples may suppress appetite, while being very calorie light. Feeling to have one? Go ahead, do yourself a favor!
- Apricots – another super-fruit is the apricot, which provides a whopping dose of vitamins A, C and E, in addition to iron and carotenoids (compounds similar to Vit A) which may aid in warding off heart disease. They are also rich in lycopene, a compound that prevents growth of the prostate in the susceptible male population. They are also very low calorie, one fruit being only about 20 calories.
- Bananas – these fruits are extremely rich in potassium, a mineral important in regulating muscular contractility and also possessing a role in control of blood pressure. They are rich in carbohydrates and soluble fiber, making them as sweet as they are healthy for you. The only slight drawback to this fruit is that they are calorie dense; so portion control is a must.
- Various berries – berries offer a super dense source of anti-oxidants, Vitamin C and the important phytonutrient class of compounds. They are touted as being able to ward off cancer, heart disease and a host of other ailments. Among the berry family are blueberries; referred to as the big boy of the group, said to be able to delay onset/ prevent Alzheimer’s disease and reducing high blood pressure. Other notable mentions go out to strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. Blueberries are used to treat night blindness.
- Cantaloupe fruit – rich in potassium, carotenoids and Vitamin C, they boost the immune system, reduce inflammation and may prevent certain types of cancer. They are rich in fiber, but be wary; they are also rich in calories.
- Cherries – rich in vitamins C, E, Iron, folic acid and flavonoids, they are effective in reducing inflammation, improving bad LDL levels and may offer you enhanced cardio protective effects (heart protecting).
- Citrus – most renowned for their Vitamin C content, these are probably also the best tasting fruits out there. Also, similar to other fruits, they provide a decent amount of fiber and may delay/ prevent certain types of cancer. The most commonly consumed citrus fruits are oranges, tangerines, lemons, pink grapefruits and limes. Citrus fruits are often used in alternative medicine.
- Kiwi – a comparison conducted based on weight shows these fruits are more than 200% more vitamin c dense that oranges. The bioflavonoids contained in kiwis also have demonstrated a role in prevention of asthma attacks in pediatric patients. They also deliver an excellent amount of Vitamin E, magnesium and potassium.
- Paw-paw (papaya) – rich in vitamins C, E carotenoids and a rare group of compounds; digestive enzymes, which help promote complete absorption of proteins and carbohydrates from the diet. They are very tasty and yield modest calories per serving size.
- Grapes – while all grapes offer health benefits, red grapes offer the most profound benefits. They are rich in iron, potassium, fiber and abundant anti-oxidants. Red grapes also contain one of the most highly publicized anti-oxidants; resveratrol proven to decrease incidence of heart disease and cancer.
There you have it; the best choices of fruits out there. With this knowledge selecting one to suit your fancy is just a farmer’s market away