Today’s Top Ten Tuesday is top pedicure items. I’m adding a twist to mine because I have a couple of rather unique foot staples that I bet others won’t list. You see, I am a distance runner. I recently completed my 10th marathon and this past weekend I ran my first ultra marathon trail race, doing 50k (31.1 miles) in a bit over 6 hours (OK more like a bit under 7 hours). Doing these things honestly wreck my feet. I’ll spare you photos of my feet (bare feet anyway), but will tell you about things I do to prevent and treat blisters and cover ugly toenails!
My foot focus is pretty much on dealing with existing issues and covering up ugliness. Here are my top items.
(1) Aquaphor: This is my first line of defense against blisters on shorter runs. I lather it on my feet right before I head out the door. It also is great as a super affordable foot and callus softener. Put it on liberally at night, slip on some socks and sleep with it on! You can also use Vaseline instead.
(2) Lac Hydrin: This is a moisturizing lotion with lactic acid in it. It is also a great callus softener and I do the overnight sock trick with it as well.
(3) Ped Egg: I can’t rave enough about the Ped Egg. This little thing will quickly shave off calluses and catch the dead skin all without any irritation.
(4) KT Tape: This is a flexible sport tape that happens to work well for blister prevention on long runs. I use it to tape problem areas before very long runs or races in which I won’t have time to change my socks part way through. It also comes in a lot of fun colors.
(5) Argon Oil: Argon oil is great for general softening and for treating the cuticle area.
(6) Small pedicure scissors: I use these to cut off dead dry skin after blisters completely heal. Yucky right? Yes, but it works! It is best to soften the skin first in a bath.
(7) BandAids, the cuter the better: I like to wear super cute BandAids over my blisters. I have some Hello Kitty ones that are my absolute favorites.
(8) A Nail Buffer: This helps smooth out ridges in my nails, which tend to get very beat up.
(9) Black Nail Polish: Runners, especially marathon and ultra runners, commonly get black toenails. Black nail polish is a great way to cover them up and make everything look uniform.
(10) CND Vinylux: This long wear polish works great for runners because it doesn’t chip off easily, even when banged around by your shoes. It would be a great pedicure polish for anyone.
Honorable Mentions: These are not so much pedicure items as they are foot comfort aids.
Toekinis: These stretchy things saved me when I blistered the bottom of my feet. They are padded stretchy things that protected the area while I healed. They are meant for comfort under open toe shoes and I have since also used them for that. I seriously love them.
Injinji Toe Socks: These are toe socks for runners. When I completely trashed my feet after a marathon, I rocked this lovely look of toe socks and flip flops for a few days. I really had no choice if I wanted to walk. I don’t really recommend this unless you are desperate for comfort and don’t care that you look like a complete dork!
Now, go visit the links below to see more top pedicure items. They are probably more normal ones too!
Advertisements and Sponsors
Shop Our Favorite Stores!