This is a guest post from Less Is More Beauty. Visit them and check them out!
Who says we need shampoo to cleanser our hair??
…well – WE DON’T!!
“No-Poo Shampoo” hair treatments are literally where you use no shampoo to cleanse and de-gunk-tify your hair. Many women with dry hair have been switching their usage of shampoo to wash their hair for other alternatives. I did some of my own research and I found out that there are a few options to cleansing your hair that have nothing to do with shampoo. The reason why ladies have been opting out of using shampoo is because the lather and soap in shampoos is a product of the sulfates that can strip your hair of its natural oils and nutrients. Usually, the “3-to-5-minute” conditioner that is applied after shampooing can be enough to restore the natural oils in your hair, however, depending on how greasy your hair is, the type of hair texture you have and how often you wash it – the restorative effects of your conditioner may not be enough to revive your hair.
If you suffer from dry brittle hair, damage, breakage and split ends, I have listed some great ways to wash and condition your hair without using a harsh shampoo all the time.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar and Water
Apple Cider Vinegar and Water treatments are a great way to restore the nutrients in your hair without using a shampoo. This product is really simple to use. All you need to do is rinse your hair, then apply equal amounts of Apple Cider Vinegar and Water into a container and then apply to your hair like a shampoo. Massage the mixture through your scalp and hair (don’t forget to massage your hair from root to tip), and then rinse out thoroughly with water and apply your conditioner afterwards. The properties of Apple Cider Vinegar that are beneficial to your hair are that it restores the pH balance of your scalp which promotes healthy growth of hair and eliminates the bacteria that cause dandruff, while the vinegar properties act as a natural soap that cleanses the hair without stripping it of its natural oils. This should be used in tandem with your conditioner as your hair washing regime, and not by itself.
Co-Washing is when you wash your hair with two different conditioners and no shampoo. I have listed what to get and step by step instructions on how to wash your hair below:
- What to get:
- One cheap conditioner to act as your shampoo. (My choice is V05 Moisture Milks, or Argan Oil Cleansing Conditioner).
- One light protein based conditioner to deep condition your hair. (This should be a high quality conditioner or deep conditioning mask. Affirm 5-in-1 is really good and contains a light amount of protein for hair reconstruction)
- Then get 3 of the following 5 oils: jojoba oil, grape seed oil, almond oil, coconut oil and oil oil (my recommendation is jojoba oil, grape seed, oil and coconut oil. Coconut oil is usually solid so you will have to melt a little bit for about 20-30secs in the microwave each time you deep condition.)
Step by Step Usage
- Before you start showering, melt a small (one teaspoon) amount of coconut oil into a bowl. But any access coconut oil into your hair to get it off your hands. Once melted, add a few drops of the other two oils that you are using (from the five listed above) into the bowl with the melted coconut oil. I use about 2 to 3 drops of each oil. Mix this all together with your deep conditioner.
- Rinse your hair.
- Apply ample amounts of V05 moisture milk (or whatever initial conditioner you use) and lather your hair as if it were a shampoo. Be sure to really massage it into your scalp through the ends of your hair. Then rinse out thoroughly.
- Then apply the deep conditioner mixture that you created before you started showering. When I applying your deep conditioner, section off your hair into about four sections. Start your application from your ends then work your way up to your scalp. Be sure to massage it well into your hair so that all the strands and scalp get moisture.
- Pin your hair up, place a shower cap over your hair to prevent leakage.
- Let the deep conditioner set for about 15 -30 mins depending on the damage of your hair or how dry it is. Afterwards, rinse out the deep conditioner thoroughly.
- Towel dry your hair then apply your leave-in-conditioners, serums or mousse while your hair is damp.
- If you have time, let you hair air dry, if you are in a hurry, dry on low or medium heat with a blow dryer.
Don’t forget to check out our website for weekly updates on our blog, and great deals on fashion, makeup, nails, hair care and skin care products. www.lessismorebeauty.com