Smokey eyes exude mystery and sex appeal. Dark, dramatic eyes are also one of the most versatile makeup techniques that women can learn. Almost anyone can wear a smokey eye. This makeup technique can be worn darker at night for a glamorous look, or lighter during the day, for a look that screams casual chic. Fortunately, smoky eyes makeup isn’t difficult to do. You don’t have to be a professional makeup artist to get this look. With a few great products and a little know-how, women can achieve smokey, glamorous eyes in just a few minutes.
How to Do Smoky Eyes in 6 Easy to Follow Steps:
1. First things first, start with a clean palette. Remove your makeup from the night before and prime the eyes with a quality primer, like Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion. This will keep the shadow from smudging and end up clumping in the creases. No one wants there to be a clump of eyeshadow visible every time they blink, so don’t miss this step.
2. Next, you are going to want to apply eyeshadow directly to your eyelids. Extend the shadow slightly above the crease, but avoid getting too close to the brow line. If you intend to create a traditional smokey eye, use a silver or light gray eyeshadow, like The Balm Shady Lady Eyeshadow. If you want to create a unique look, use an eyeshadow in a lighter shade than what you will be putting in the outer corners. For a really funky look, you can use a lighter, complimentary shade.
3. Using an eyeshadow brush, blend a darker shadow from the outer corners, to the middle of the eye. The color should be mostly above the crease, but can be brought further down on the very outer corners. A great brush to use is the Sephora Collection Professionnel Smudge Brush #14.
4. Now, you can apply eyeliner. Draw a precise line across the upper lash line, as well as directly under the lower lash line. This will help to make the lash line more pronounced. To achieve a smudgier look, take an angled eyeshadow brush and smudge dark shadow over the eyeliner.
5. To make the look a little more glam, you can now apply a light, shimmer eyeshadow in the inner corners of the eye and under the brow line. This will make the eyes seem more alert and will also help balance close-set eyes.
6. The last step is to curl the lashes and apply mascara. Apply at least two coats of mascara, like the ever-popular DiorShow Mascara, to the upper and lower lash line. This is a great mascara to make the lashes appear fuller and longer, and avoid being made invisible by dramatic shadow. If you are feeling extra daring, false lashes can be applied for added drama.
There are also some great kits out there that take the guess work out of creating a smoky eye such as these:
Too Faced Smoky Eye Palette and Sephora Beauty in a Box Smoky Eyes Palette.
When done properly, smokey eyes are one of the most beautiful makeup techniques. Even if you don’t get it exactly right the first time, a little experimentation goes a long way. If you are trying to achieve this look for the first time, make sure to give yourself ample time to perfect your look, without feeling rushed out the door.
Shop Our Favorite Stores!